About Me

My photo
Jack of All Trades, Master of None. I have never met a hobby that I didn't fall in love with. But for now my focus lies mainly with pottery and with needle felting.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Getting There

Well, this week started out on a very sour note (no pun intended.) Our wonderful tomcat of almost 11 years suddenly passed away, and we are heartbroken. Add to that the fact that my three littlest ones have had fevers, I haven't gotten much done in the way of ocarina-making.

I HAVE, however, made progress with the few that I've done. I'm finding that it takes me less time to form the mouthpiece and soundhole just so so that I get a sweet, strong tone from the first note to the last. I'm also finding that for a few I have to lower the ramp just a tad to make those last notes clear.

I made Amber's monkey ocarina, which I think is cute, and the dolphin I'm making for my aunt, which sounds REALLY good. I am too tired to continue with more tonight, and this week is VBS so that's another reason I'm lagging behind.

I tried to buy a kitchen scale this week but Wal-mart was out of the digital ones, so I got a $5 one that says on the box "weighs up to 2 lbs." Well, since I'll be working in very small portions to begin with, I thought that would be fine. Until I got it home opened it, and found that it ACTUALLY only goes to one pound. Well, frankly I'd like it to weigh more, so I'm going to return it and see about getting a digital one.

If I can simply sell enough ocarinas at the faire to cover what I've spent in materials, I will be happy. But since we have a bill from our cat that we hadn't planned on, I'd really now like to make a little more. I am nervous, though, that no one will buy any...

After the fair, I look forward to just playing around with some ideas I have in my head...especially with the colored porcelain and stoneware.

No comments:

Post a Comment