About Me

My photo
Jack of All Trades, Master of None. I have never met a hobby that I didn't fall in love with. But for now my focus lies mainly with pottery and with needle felting.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas Gifts & New Year's Items

I had a really great Christmas and New Year's this year. The kids were a little bit older, understood a little bit more, and no one got sick. So overall you can't ask for more!

I also enjoyed making a few items for relatives. One of which was a set of cute elephant m
ugs. The first mug I ever made when I got my first bag of clay along with the kiln from ebay, was an elephant mug. But I like it so much better when the clay was blank and grey than after I painted it in a safari look. So I decided to try again with a grey look, and this time go a little whimsical with a face. I made a girl and a boy elephant, which I liked quite a bit, though the girl was much taller than the lad!

I also decided to play around with my colored porcelain. I have been wanting to make some bowls with it, as well as play around with some slip. So I did both. The only thing I didn't like was that the bowls were FAR from round, as I couldn't slump them as round as I'd wa
nted. But otherwise I think they're quite charming. I will say, however, that I have to get used to how much the porcelain shrinks. The bowls were MUCH larger before drying and firing!

Last were some family trees for the grandparents. The coloring was a tad too dark, so I got some glass enamel paint to use to try to bring out the type more. They both loved them, but I will make the rest with the lighter brown color...


And for the new year, I decided to make some Arkan Sonneys.


No comments:

Post a Comment