About Me

My photo
Jack of All Trades, Master of None. I have never met a hobby that I didn't fall in love with. But for now my focus lies mainly with pottery and with needle felting.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Beeswax Finish

Well I bought some beeswax and melted it, then mixed it with some olive oil. It wasn't very smooth after it cooled, so I did add some more oil last night in the hopes that the consistency is more like shoe polish and won't flake as I apply it to my pieces.

But I polished all my smoke fired pieces, except for the belly-rinas, in case I re-do them again. The color definitely became stronger, though it wasn't a magical effect or anything. There was only a slight sheen as I didn't burnish most of the pieces. The two I did burnish have a nice sheen to them. I'll probably try to burnish every piece I plan on smoking in the future.

I got a few possibilities as for the glaze problem. It was recommended that I sponge down each piece prior to glazing to that the glaze breaks over the moisture instead of bubbling. Also, stir my glaze slowly, not lividly, as I was, which can also create bubbles.

And of course I know not to touch bisque, but since I never had a problem before, I figured I'll just wipe the pieces down...but perhaps there WAS oil from hands that caused the glaze to peel off in spots...which would explain some things.

Only time will tell when I try my next glazing.

I am contemplating trying to sell at a local new renaissance faire. I'd have to sell one ocarina a day for the 6 days (3 weekends) I'd be there, just to break even. After that, it'd be profit. If they sell at the price I'm thinking, that is. The hardest part, besides making a ton of ocarinas, is getting a tent of some sort, getting someone to watch the babies, someone to sell with me so I'm not lonely and can take bathroom breaks...

But the idea is so appealing! I'll have to talk it over with Jim when we get a chance. He's in Akron today for a football camp, and I'm still visiting my family here in Ohio. We'll cross paths tonight before I head for home tomorrow while he stays here until Saturday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment